USEFUL TIPS TO IMPROVE YOUR MEMORY
HOW TO THINK LIKE SHERLOCK HOLMES?
What is memory?
We can define memory as a mental activity that enables to recall data and information from the past. Above this memory also means the ability to store and preserve information and call it forth successfully when needed. Without memory every situation would be completely new to us.
There are three different types of memory:
1. Sensory memory: it holds information for less than one second.
2. Short-term memory: its maximum lasting time is one or two hours.
3. Long-term memory: its capacity is indefinite.
Memory disorders can have many different causes: toxication (alcohol, medicines - carelessly taken drugs also affect the memory negatively), illness (epilepsy), injuries, infections and so on.
Here is a ten point list on how to improve your memory (a super Top 10 list:)
1. Drink reasonable amounts of alcohol. Too much of it may worsen memory and has a negative effect on the brain. In the long run alcohol may cause liver, lung, stomach and other problems. Drugs also affect the memory negatively.
2. Minimize stress in your life. Continuous stress physically damages the brain, which cuts down its memorizing capacity. You can mitigate stress by practicing yoga or other relaxation techniques.
3. Exercise regularly. Orderly aerob exercise improves blood circulation and the activity of the whole body, including that of the brain as well. Obesity leads to many health problems. It is recommended to exercise at least 3-5 times a week, and one of the occasions should be an aerob activity lasting at least 45 minutes.
4. Have a healthy diet. It improves memory and makes it more effective. Your daily food should include lots of vegetables, fruits, whole grain products, fish oil, eggs and seeds. It is also very important to drink at least 2,5 litres of water per day.
5. Concentrate. If you focus on one thing at one time, you can pay attention better and you are able to observe a lot more than before. Your performance will be better as well, because you exclude the disturbing factors (television, mobile phone, etc.).
6. Organize your life. Use a pocketbook, a planner or anything else you think may help organize the activities and commitments of the day. This way you reduce the chance of forgetting your duties. Keep in mind that organizing is also important in routine activities.
7. Sleep well. The quality of your sleep influences brain capacity and memory greatly. It is highly recommended to sleep 6-8 hours per day.
8. Give tasks to your brain. Always be mentally active, because it is necessary to maintain the health of the brain. Great challenges for the brain include learning languages, learning to play the violin and other musical instruments, doing crosswords, Sudoku, playing chess etc. (Our webgames: BBC Sherlock - Online Games)
9. Do not think that you are stupid. Never scold yourself when you cannot find the solution of an equation, cannot solve a logical task, when you are unable to notice something or you miss words while reading. Our brain often shortens, because it tries to avoid overburdening. On documentary channels you can often watch programs about how the brain works, and these show that everyone else makes mistakes as well. It is natural, however we can improve the abilities of our brain. Conan Doyle’s hero also practices a lot, and he is very steadfast in everything he does.
10. Do not deny yourself the things that can make your life better. Pay attention to the signs your body sends you, even if you do not have any pain yet. For example when you do a lot of standing, wear compression tights or socks. You can prevent not only illnesses with minor things like that, but better life results in better mood, being more relaxed, easier concentration and better work performance. So to say, everyday activities will be much comfortable for you – and thanks to this you can live in bigger harmony with your environment.
In case of sudden memory failure ask the advice of your doctor.
You can read further useful tips by clicking on the points that interest you.
1. MAP OUT YOUR TIME WISELY
2. KEEP CALM
- " I am by no means a nervous man. " (Sherlock Holmes quote from "The Final Problem")
3. LOVE YOUR OCCUPATION. BE A PROFESSIONAL AND WORK WITHOUT STRESS
4. NEVER GIVE UP HOPE AND DO NOT FEAR FROM CHANGE
5. WEIGH YOUR POSSIBILITIES UP, DECIDE AND TAKE RESPONSIBILITY
6. IMAGINATION ADJUSTED TO THE FACTS AND DEDUCTION ONLY AFTER HAVING SUFFICIENT INFORMATION
7. READ A LOT OR HAVE SOME OTHER HOBBY - The importance of reading
Our article: The importance of reading
We will continue the article with
the interesting topic of the Mind Palace.
Interesting and useful online videos:
Sherlock Holmes actors
Keywords: memory, Sherlock, concentrate, brain, logic, think, logical,
mentally active, Sherlock Holmes, ten useful tips, Top 10 list, mind,
exercise, brain works, memorizing capacity, quality, learning, study,
clever, genius, The science of deduction, disturbing factors, learn